Sunday, February 24, 2013

Red Velvet Cupcakes with Cream Cheese Frosting

Like I said in a previous post, i used to bake a lot back in high school. i could have imagined myself setting up my own cafe if I pursued a different life back then. But my mom was too traditional to let me study culinary arts. It was assumed that a career in the kitchen will not sustain a living, maybe she was right. I mean, I wouldn't be where I am if I wasn't pushed to choose my course in college.

Anyway, enough about my past, I usually get recipes online and revise them to achieve the texture that I want. Today, I tried to make a famous southern dessert, red velvet cupcakes with cream cheese frosting. Despite the lack of culinary education, most of which can be attributed to food network tv, here are some lessons that I've learned:

1. Follow instructions: unless you already know what you are doing, follow every instruction down to the last detail.

2. Use different measuring tools for dry and wet ingredients: this will definitely affect the quality of your product.

3. Use the best ingredients: when the recipe calls for butter, use butter and not margarine! they are called two different things because they are definitely not the same! Some manufacturers may claim that their product tastes like butter but the process and ingredients used to make butter will enhance the texture of your finished product.

4. Do not be afraid to bake in the absence of proper tools, i. e. mixer. I've always wanted a Kitchen Aid mixer, but sad to say, I cannot afford one as of the moment. I am currently using the whisk attachment of my cuisinart hand blender as a whisk and a fork to cream butter and sugar and mix everything together. Maybe a mixer will make your life easier, but lets just say that machines make life easier, in general, but they weren't always there.

5. Never forget to preheat your oven! This will affect the quality of your baked goodies. You wouldn't want to throw in your mixture in an oven that's just about to warm up. You want the oven hot and ready for you.

Enough about the pointers and here's how to make this delectable moist dessert:




Here are the ingredients
Notice, that I do not really use name brand products, as long as they have it the store brand I'm fine. I noticed that there isn't much difference in the quality (at least here in the united states) :)

I usually have my recipe written out before I start and I have my "entertainment" all set up while preparing.

First thing you have to do!!! PREHEAT YOUR OVEN to 350F

In a bowl, combine 2 1/2 cups of flour (I use all-purpose but some people use cake flour), 1/2 cup  unsweetened cocoa (I used hershey's dark cocoa but most recipes just call for unsweetened cocoa,  but I couldn't resist the dark cocoa when I saw it on the shelf, I love dark chocolate), 1 teaspoon baking powder, 1 teaspoon baking soda, 1 teaspoon salt.

In another bowl, cream 6 tablespoons butter at room temperature and softened with 1 1/4 cup sugar.

Add in two eggs

In another bowl, set up 1 1/4 cup buttermilk.

Mix in a part of the dry ingredients in the butter mixture.

Mix a part of the buttermilk mixture. Do this alternatingly, ending with the dry ingredients.

Here's where the magic begins: mix in 1 1/2 teaspoons of vinegar, 1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla, and 2 tablespoons red food colouring.



Line your cupcake pans with liners and fill them with your red mixture 2/3 full, and toss them in your preheated oven.

And after 18-20 minutes, you have these!

Make your frosting: combine 5 tablespoons butter, 4 teaspoons buttermilk, 1 block cream cheese, 3 1/2 cups powdered sugar, 1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla. Put them all in a piping bag with your favourite decorating tip.

Frost and enjoy your yummy cupcake!


No comments:

Post a Comment