Monday, February 18, 2013

Chinese New Year DC style

People often neglect things when its always there. Now this is the first time that I am away from home in Chinese New Year and let me just say that it felt weird. First of all, since its not really part of the regular calendar, I didn't even know it was already that time of the year. If not for the people posting stuff on Facebook, I would have not clue. 

Every year, my mom would prepare tikoy in turon form and send them to friends. I would even free ride on this and bring a box or two to school. I would only give it away but I didn't really like tikoy but the recipients were quite happy. This year, I was unable to see the anything close to tikoy here in DC. This made me feel a tinge of sadness, but do not be misled, I am very happy here. In order to lift my spirits, I quickly searched the net for festivities in the area and lo and behold, they have an annual Chinese New Year Parade in Chinatown. They close a block to hold this parade. It was so cold but not too cold, I survived with a light jacket that day but they didn't start on time so its not really too good if people were waiting for it to start for almost an hour.

 Before the parade the street was so empty

 Costumes in place

 Dragon dance practice in the park nearby

 They have two dragons!

 Chinatown Ark


 Shaolin Temple invasion






 !!!




No comments:

Post a Comment